Going to School CD by Hometrain
Available from: www.hometrain.ie
Suitable from: Preschool
Initial Reaction: Professional looking CD in box. CD is essentially an ebook with menu for different options.
- Story covers classroom routines, teachers, wearing uniform, making friends and emotions.
- Can print off the story to read on paper (all documents are pdf versions).
- Can print off pages of the story to colour in.
- Would be great for a very young child who is anxious about school and what to expect.
- Contains Reward charts which you would use jointly with the teacher as to how the child is behaving at school.
- Has other things like “I’m going to school” communication book which you can print and fill in with child and also illustrated print outs of the school day.
- Great for introducing child to inclusion into mainstream education as main character Tom has a special needs assistant.
- CD has a very basic feel to it with childlike drawings as illustrations. This may be comforting for some children however.
Value for money? Great value preparation for young children starting school.
Overall Reaction: Great product for starting school, particularly if child is apprehensive. Personally we only really got value from the print outs such as the communication book and colouring sheets. We may also use the reward charts if necessary. My child will be one of the older ones in the year (his birthday is December) so he is very used to the school routine from the excellent preschool he has been going to for quite a while.