Halloween is getting more and more popular in the UK and can be big business. We have started to have a Halloween party every year but we try to make as much as possible ourselves, one because its cheaper and two because its fun!
Here are some ideas for you.
These are a variation of a cake my Nan made when I was little; she used to make them into mice.
Ingredients (makes 20 cakes)-
- For the cakes-175g soften butter,
175g Caster Sugar, 175g self-raising flour, 2 large eggs lightly beaten and 1
teaspoon of vanilla extract
- For the decoration – 200g
Chocolate, 2 ½ packs of Liquorice Catherine wheels,20 Large Marshmallows, 20
small Marshmallows, two tablespoons of
icing sugar, drop of water. Black food colouring or alternately use a tube of
back writing icing.
To make the cupcakes–
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/
Gas Mark 4, 170c if you have an fan assisted oven
- Place cupcake cases in to a
- Place the butter, sugar and
vanilla extract into a large bowl and cream until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs a little bit at a
time and beat the mixture together
- Shift the flour into the butter,
sugar and egg mixture. Using a big metal spoon fold the flour in, don’t over
- Fill each case half full with the
cake mixture and then bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are
- Leave the cakes to cool on a wire
To decorate the cupcakes –
- Break the chocolate into a glass bowl;
place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to melt the chocolate.
- Once melted leave to cool slights
- While its cooling unwind the
Catherine wheels and cut them into spider legs, I cut them about 2 inches long.
You will need eight per spider.
- Cut the small marshmallows in
- Dip a large marshmallow in the
chocolate them place in the middle of a cupcake, and then spoon some chocolate
on the cake until the top is covered.
- Add two small marshmallow halves
on stop on the large marshmallow for eyes. Leave them to set
- Once the chocolate has set, using
the bottom of a spoon make four holes on each side on the cake and them poke a
piece of liquorice into them for the legs
- Make up some black icing using
the icing sugar, colouring and water, you want it to be quite thick as it will
be the spiders eye. Add a blob to each of the small marshmallows and there you
have spooky spider cupcakes.
The lovely Emma from Mummy Musing’s has kindly shared this recipe
for Gingerbread Skeletons. Perfect for Halloween.
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g golden syrup
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Writing icing
1. Preheat the oven to 200c
2. In a bowl,beat together the butter and sugar until creamy, then stir in the bicarbonate
of soda, golden syrup and egg yolks. Sift in the flour, ginger and cinnamon.
Using your hands, bring the mixture together to form a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a thickness of ½cm. Use a 12cm
gingerbread man cutter to stamp out 16 biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to the
lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
4. Break off a few ‘limbs’ and use red and white writing icing to decorate.
This Halloween why not decorate with a spooky garland, it’s
simple to make and will keep the children entertained all morning
You will need – Card, Pencil, Scissors, Paints/Crayons/Felt
Tip Pens, hole punch, string, sticky tape.
- First draw the outline of the
spooky shapes you want on your garland, I’ve gone for Pumpkins and ghosts but
you can have witches or vampires or even a scary monster.
- Decorate the pictures anyway you
like, you can use paint, crayons, felt tips pens or a mixture.
- Once they are coloured in and any
paint is dry, cut the shapes out.
- Punch a hole in the top of them
and then thread on to the string in any order you like.
- Stick to the wall or ceiling
using sticky tape
- You can do a mixture of sizes to
make the garland more interesting and if you want the garland to sparkle then
add some glitter to your spooky characters.
Make a few spooky garlands to place around the house and scare your family